Steam Remote (Navigation, Big Picture, and launch any game via voice)
So, after getting the Python script to generate a list of games, I decided to try make a custom remote that'd work with big picture mode.
I used the Basic Input as a template, but designed it like the Fire TV phone app, where you flick your finger in the direction you want it to move (like a stick instead of a touch pad). I couldn't figure out how to make it continue moving if you hold your finger down in a direction, so if anyone has any ideas let me know.
It's got a very simple layout and not many colours since I'm not really expecting anyone to use this :P
- Say "launch [game]" to launch any game in your library.
- It supports multiple names, eg. "launch arkham asylum" will recognise that it is Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition
- Quick links to many steam things
- Navigate big picture mode by flicking your finger
- Change input to mouse control if flicking your finger isn't wanted
- Send messages to the game you're playing (eg. If you need to reply but not relinquish control of your keyboard, say "haha yep" to your phone, and just hit the send button. It'll very quickly type "t haha yep [enter]", with optionally hitting esc afterwards)
I made a script that would generate the functions required to launch the games, since there's no easy way of doing it otherwise. It works by looking at your steam profile (so you can't have a private one unfortunately), and following links through each of the games. If a link redirects, then it's DLC and can be ignored. If it doesn't redirect, I made a bunch of rules to generate alternate names so you don't have to say the full name word for word. It is only tested on my library, so let me know if there's any games that it doesn't work properly with.
I've packaged it as an EXE file so you don't need Python to run it, just type in your steam ID and it'll do the rest (you can see its current progress).
Mate this is awesome.
Haha thanks, I've also just added the option for messages, so if you said "message the killer" it'll open a chat box for the guy. It doesn't seem to always bring it to the foreground, but I think that's out of my control. I've not updated the original post yet until I try the music player controls (not that anyone actually uses it haha), and I'll add setting your online status through voice (it's probably not needed as actual buttons, but if anyone's reading this who would prefer it as buttons just say).
I've been looking down this page for new things to add anyway, so if you see anything important let me know :P
Paul Harren 00
@Peter I'm specifically interested in what action and configuration of unified remote launches Big Picture Mode - any help?