XDG config and data directories
I would very much like for Unified Remote Server to adopt the XDG Base directory specification. Currently the configuration and remotes are stored in $HOME/.urserver.
According to XDG Base directory specification, Unified Remote Server should not have its own folder anymore:
User data should go into $XDG_DATA_HOME (which default to ~/.local/share),
user preferences should go into $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (which default to ~/.config)
and cached data should go to $XDG_CACHE_HOME (which default to ~/.cache).
More details at :
Full specification can be found at:
There are real advantages of following this specification :
- a lot less cluttered $HOME
- Make backups a lot more safer and easier.
Backuping your $XDG_DATA_HOME along with your files is enough
(or just excluding $XDG_CACHE_HOME)
- A lot easier to reset a default configuration if you want/need it (and
without any risk to loose information). Even for the software itself
could choose to reset $XDG_CONFIG_HOME if needed.
- Avoid some strange bugs that happens because you had a old version of
some configuration file
- A lot more of flexibility and portability because no path are hardcoded.
If the different variables ($XDG_DATA_HOME, etc.) are not set, the current behavior of using the directory $HOME/.urserver can be a fall back.