For the first time in 4 years we are going to release an new app on Android. Until now we have added more and more features to Unified Remote in every release, which has made it possible to control more and more things both on your computer but also other devices. The problem with this strategy is that Unified Remote is starting to become difficult to use for certain use cases. One example of this is to control IR devices.
Therefore we have decided to create a new app called Unified TV that will only have one purpose: to control IR devices.
What is Unified TV?
Unified TV is Unified Remote, but for your TV, set-top box, game console, and more. The biggest difference however is that it is the first version of Unified Remote that does not require a server for its operation. It is however possible to add a server, but then it is only used for finding more IR blasters that are connected to your computer (for example USB-UIRT).
Visually we have redesigned the main screen (remotes list). A bit more touch of material. But we've also created a new remote selection wizard where you can select your remotes based on category, brand and model.
How can I use Unified TV?
To use Unified TV you will need an Android device with a builtin IR blaster, a compatible network blaster, or a computer attached blaster. At the moment these are the supported devices:
- Built-in Blasters: LG G3/G4, HTC One M7/M8/M9, Samsung S4/S5/S6, Samsung Note 3/4/5, Tab Pro
- Network Blasters: Keene, GlobalCache (coming soon...)
- Computer Blasters: USB-UIRT
What can I control with Unified TV?
As of the first release there are 51 remotes available, but we will continuously add more remotes based on user feedback.
- TV: Hitachi, Hyundai, Insignia, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sanyo, Sharp, Sony, TCL, Toshiba, Vizio
- Set-Top Boxes: Canal Digital, Comcast, Time Warner, Viasat, Western Digital
- Game Consoles: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS2
- Media Players: Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, Roku
During early access it will not possible to add your own remotes. It is however something we plan to add in the future. If you'd like to see support for a new device let us know by replying to this thread and we'll put together a list of requests.
Requests that we are looking into:
- Logitech Z906 Speakers
- Sony BDV-N790 (receiver)
- Sony STR-DN1040 AV Receiver2
- Fetch TV STB (rebranded Yuxing?)
- Harman Kardon sb26
- Jensen TV
- Vizio e500i-b1 (code set not found)
- asus nexus player
- ** Vmedia Vbox STB (Canada)**
- Broksonic sc-20145
- Dynex TV
- HiFi amplifiers-Naim Nait 5si
- Bravo TV
- Daewo TV
- UPC decoder
- Onkyo TX-SR313 receiver
- Panasonic TV TX-24C300E
- Toshiba BDK33 Blu-Ray player
- Santo TV
- Bauhn TB ATVS5-915
- RCA TV
- Tele2 set-top box
- Oppo 103 Blu-Ray player
- Minix neo X8h-plus
- Dish Network (set-top box) (Added in 35006)
- Direct TV (set-top box) (Added in 35006)
- Add Exit button to samsung remotes (Added in 35006)
- Thomson (TV) (Added in 35006)
- Telia Sweden (set-top box) (Added in 35006)
- Vizio (TV) (Added in 35001)
- Magnavox (TV) (Added in 35001)
- Epson home cinema 8350 (projector) (Added in 35001)
- Windows IR (MC) (Added in 35001)
- Yamaha (receiver) (Added in 35003)
- Kabel Deutschland (set-top box)(Added under the vodafone brand)(Added in 35007)
- Westinghouse TV (Added in 35007)
- Polaroid TV (Added in 35007)
- Technika (Added in 35007)
- Hisense TV (Added in 35007)
- Sony KDL-60R550A (TV)(hopefully added 9 new remotes) (Added in 35007)
- LG Energy Save (Added in 35007)
- Verizon Fios cable boxes (Added in 35007)
- SKY HD (Added in 35007)
- Samsung bluray home theater Models HT-F6500W and HT-D4500 (Added in 35007)
How do I join the Unified TV early access?
Click the link below! During early access the app will only cost $0.99 (this might change when we release the final version).
We have plans to make the apps work together in some way. But we will begin with two apps. The unified remote app will continue to have IR but we will not add any IR remotes in that app.
I'm assuming you need the server to use the USB-UIRT? Is it the same server as my current Unified Remote server?
I guess I don't understand the need for two apps? I'm assuming this is being built using the same mechanisms that exist for custom remotes that use IR? Honestly, the hardest part of making a custom remote that uses IR in the current app is the capturing of the codes. Is the value add here that you're just doing that for me?
Yes USB-UIRT uses the same server.The reason for two different apps is mostly a user interface question. In Unified Remote the server is an important part of the app. But that do not make any sense for a remote control for your TV. Even if everything we do in this app is possible in Unified Remote we do not believe the experience is good when you are not connected to a server. The discovery process is also tailor made for IR in this app this will make it easier to find the remotes you need.
Not all users are able to make their own remotes. If you are then you do not need this app and can create the same experience in Unified Remote.
Yoav Mor 10
Please consider adding Yamaha receivers... Thanks!
@Yoav-Mor Thanks, added it to the list in the first post.
We will probably add a few receivers in the next update so if there is any more brands that we should cover please send in your requests.
David Nettles 00
Please add DirecTV receivers
I would like to see support for bluray players, DVD players, and home theater systems. Also a Dish network remote would be great.
@Daniel-H Please specify the blueray players and DVD players you need. There is a lot on the market.
Kenneth Pang 00
The Sony remote included can't control my TV. It's a Sony KDL-60R550A.
I'm running CM12.1 on a Note 4 N910G, but Smart Remote works fine with that TV, so I'm guessing it's not custom rom related. Any chance of adding this model?
@Kenneth-Pang Will see if I can find the IR codes needed. If I can we will add your TV.
@reconnnn thanks for asking, I have 2 Samsung blu-ray home theater systems. Models HT-F6500W and HT-D4500. But I think remotes work off the same IR frequency because I can control them both with the same remote.
Greg Robertson 00
Hi. I am a due hard unified remote user, and would like to switch my TV to use your new app. Please support my TV, it is a sharp 46d64u. My pioneer auto system is an older model and not one you have listed, but I'd like it supported
@Greg-Robertson Alright. How old is your TV? Did you try any of the other remotes for pioneer?
@Daniel-H thanks we will do a push and add a few Blu-ray players/home theaters soon.
@Daniel-H @Greg-Robertson @Kenneth-Pang
It would be great to get some help finding the correct codes for your devices. If you look at this tutorial you can find the IR codes for your devices and we can create the correct remotes.
Also let me know if there is something that is unclear in the tutorial.
Please add support for Motorola and Arris Set-Top Boxes
- Telia Digital-TV use Motorola and Arris Set-Top Boxes
Here you can find IR codes for many Set-Top Boxes on the market
@stdlogin There is support for at least one Telia box in the next version. Thanks for the link!
@reconnnn So I looked them up and the codeset for the Samsung bluray home theater Models HT-F6500W and HT-D4500 is (1295)
@Daniel-H Great thank you! Should be easy to create a remote for you now.
Mike Sturwold 00
Is this any different than just creating custom IR remotes in the UR App?